I’ve been mad keen on fishing since as far back as I can remember. My dad loves going fishing, and he still gets out every year at age 84 ! My grandfather was a very keen trout fisherman, as was his father and so on. My dad reckons we’ve been fishing mad family for generations.
When I was a kid (many many years ago) all I thought about, dreamed about, wanted to do — was go fishing.
But a rotten north of England inner city education, and parents who didn’t really push me to achieve at school meant that I went fishing a lot, and studied little.
I always dreamed about being a professional fisherman, and making my living from fishing, but it has never been on the cards as I’ve just never figured out how to do it. I now make a very good living from fish related ecology – but its not fishing.
So, now that I’m no longer in a heap of debt (£36,000 at one point), and don’t have the worry, stress and pressure that goes with it I think I’m in a position to reconsider how I can make extra income from the hobby I love so much.
I want to start to earn a little extra money each month, that might go on to grow into a new full time income, and enable me to wind down my existing job, and make my income from fishing and also increase my investments that will see me through retirement.
Investments are really the key, as I’m looking to fund my retirement, and will need continuing income beyond the day I actually stop working. The fact that I’m saving £600($800) each month into my investment plan, and another £400 ($500) into my pension plan should see me in good stead. I’ve manged to save £26,000 ($30,000) in my savings plan over the last few years, and my pension which started last year already has £5000($6000) in it. A good start after being in debt for so many years.
Now that my sole focus is not on meeting debt repayments each month, I also have time to think. And this thinking time has enabled me to come to the conclusions that –
- I’m good at fishing
- I’m not good at employing people and business administration
- I write good blog posts
- Not many people read blogs anymore – they’re a thing of the noughties (I think I only write this blog these days as a sort of self confession – and to help me get my thoughts straight- this post is a good example of this).
- Good Vlogs get a lot more traffic than good blogs
- If I had more traffic on my blogs or upcoming Vlog, I can get income from Google Adsense
- I need to ramp up the posting on my existing fishing blog (which currently gets only a trickle of traffic)
- I need to start to create a Vlog for my fishing blog, and run both Blog and Vlog side by side to increase traffic.
- I need to set up an online shop on my fishing blog, so that I can sell the items of fishing tackle I use to other anglers. If I can get more traffic to my fishing blog and vlog, it should be relatively simple to drive customers to my online fishing stores.
- I need to set up
- an ebay shop – if I’m going to sell fishing kit on my blog and vlog, then I can also sell it on Ebay (and maybe later on Amazon too)
- I don’t want to be a drop shipper, It pisses me off that people are flooding ebay with items that they don’t own, and take weeks to deliver. I’m definitely in the group of people who wants to buy something and have it delivered quickly. That’s why I have an amazon prime account.
- I need MORE TRAFFIC ! Traffic = Adsense and product sales.
So in a nutshell – I need to get more traffic, open a couple of sales channels. Easy to say but probably a lot of effort involved to actually do it.
My traffic stats for July 2020
Fishing Blog 858 – page views
Fishing Youtube Channel 77 Subscribers / 1,717 views / 37 watch hours
Fishing Site 2 9,944 – page views
Getrichwithme Blog 31 – page views
Getrichwithme Vlog 0 Subscribers/ 0 views / 0 watch hours
Ebay Shop Traffic 17,996 Impressions / 133 page views
Online Shop Traffic 0 Views
My Sales/Income for July 2020
Ebay Sales 0
Ebay Net Income 0
Online Shop Sales 0
Online Shop Net Income 0
Adsense Income 0
Total Net Income 0
Tax (20% income tax)
My Income (money in my pocket) £00.00